What is Alf Kalimah?
Alf Kalimah is a literary agency that helps writers in Saudi Arabia get published (and get paid!). To do this, we host events and activities that help you polish your work and increase the quality of your writing, and then we connect you to publishers and organizations looking to hire writers.
Who will benefit from Alf Kalimah?
Serious writers who:
- aim to produce quality writing for the main purpose of getting published and getting paid
- are willing to invest time and money in writing
- are willing to work hard to improve their craft
- are self-learners, and for whom research and “doing homework” is second-nature
- are actively looking for publishers
- have completed – or are completing – their manuscripts and want to know the next step in getting published
- are seeking constructive criticism and feedback on their manuscripts
We support all kinds of writers – authors, novelists, journalists, scriptwriters, copywriters, etc – whether they are writing in English or Arabic.
How did Alf Kalimah start?
We started out in August 2017 as a small group of aspiring writers meeting up in Jeddah twice a week for a few hours to discuss writing techniques while writing our books. With time, more and more writers joined us, and we grew into a writing community. To this day, we meet once a week for 3 hours to write together. Check our Events page for more info on when and where we do our weekly Write-ins
Who started Alf Kalimah and why?
Alf Kalimah was co-founded by Amirah Bougary, a published author and businesswoman, and Nessreen Tamano, a writer/editor and publishing manager, in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, after discovering many talented writers in the community who needed just a little bit of support (and a nudge or two!) to complete their books and get published.
They also noticed a gap in the publishing industry in Saudi Arabia that resulted in both writers and publishers not being able to connect with each other to produce quality literature coming from the Kingdom. Alf Kalimah aims to fill that gap.